The name of the Dzong,’Pemagatshel’roughly translated means ‘’The Blissful Land of the Lotus ‘attributed to the shape and nature of landscape that resembles and blooming lotus. The name believed to be given by His Holiness, Chaabje Dudjom Rinpoche some time in 1969. Prior to this, the dzongkhag was known as the Khedung.
It is a rural district in southeast Bhutan and has its borders shared with Monger Dzongkhag in the northwest, Tashigang Dzongkhag in the northeast and Samdrupjongkhar Dzongkhag in the southeast and southwest. Pemagatshel covers an area of which almost 53% is under forest cover. It is located at an elevation ranging from 1,000-3,500 meters above the sea level. The District has a good percentage of arable land.Amost 45% of the total land is cultivated.Land holdings are however dominated by Tsheri cultivation and maize is the main cereal crop. Oranges and potatoes are the main cash crop of the dzongkhag. Beside these two, some other sub tropical fruits and livestock products also add some bonus to the income of the farmers in the district. Pemagatshel has a population of 24,362 (2012 population).
The dzongkhag also is well known for it’s off farm products like Dungs Jaling and local poe that are made in Tsebar and Khar gewogs.Gypsum mine Khothakpaa is one of the major economic activities in the Dzongkhag giving employment to people from within and outside the Dzongkhag.
One of the holiest shrines in eastern Bhutan Known as the Youngla Gonpa is located in the dzongkhag.It is said that this monastery had been used as a base for religious ceremonies by Jigme Namgyel during the Duer War in 1865.It has eleven Gewogs.